Today’s recipe is for Vegan Quesadillas from Easy Vegan Appetizers: Finger Foods, Warm Hors d’Ouevres, Dips, and Spreads for Everyday or Special Occasions (Best of VegKitchen.com Book 1) by Jordan St. Clair-Jackson. The photo above, Mushroom and Bell Pepper Quesadillas, is from the same book and was taken by Evan Atlas.
Mushroom and Bell Pepper Quesadillas
Author: Jordan St. Clair-Jackson
Recipe type: Appetizer
These simple vegan mushroom and bell pepper vegan quesadillas are not only a great appetizer option, but they also make a nice accompaniment to a well-seasoned chili as Super Bowl fare.
- 8 ounces white or cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, or half of each, thinly sliced
- 4 soft taco-size (8 inch to 10 inch) flour tortillas, preferably whole grain
- Salsa, your favorite variety, as desired
- 2 to 3 scallion, green parts only, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1½ cups grated vegan cheddar or nacho style cheese
- Place the mushrooms in a medium skillet and layer the bell peppers on top of them. Add a small amount of water, cover, and steam until the mushrooms are done and the bell peppers are tender-crisp. Drain.
- Sprinkle about a quarter of the cheese over the surface of one tortilla. Arrange half of the mushroom and pepper mixture over the cheese.
- Top with some salsa -- enough to flavor and moisten the veggies, but not to drench them.
- Sprinkle with half of the scallion, and some optional cilantro. End with about another quarter of cheese, and cover with another tortilla.
- Repeat the above step with the remaining ingredients.
- Arrange both quesadillas on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 400° F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the tortillas become lightly golden and crisp on the outside.
To Cook on the Stove-top
- Cook the quesadillas one at a time on a nonstick griddle over medium-high heat. When one side is golden and crisp, carefully flip over and cook the other side until golden.
Once done, cut each quesadilla into 4 equal wedges, allowing 2 wedges per serving, and eat out of hand with extra salsa.
Do You Love This Recipe For Vegan Quesadillas?
Like this Vegan Quesadillas recipe? It’s from Jordan St. Clair-Jackson’s book, Easy Vegan Appetizers: Finger Foods, Warm Hors d’Ouevres, Dips, and Spreads for Everyday or Special Occasions (Best of VegKitchen.com Book 1), which you can purchase here.