Today’s recipe is for Vegan Quesadillas from Easy Vegan Appetizers: Finger Foods, Warm Hors d’Ouevres, Dips, and Spreads for Everyday or Special Occasions (Best of VegKitchen.com Book 1) by Jordan St. Clair-Jackson. The photo above, Mushroom and Bell Pepper Quesadillas, is from the same book and was taken by Evan Atlas.
- 8 ounces white or cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, or half of each, thinly sliced
- 4 soft taco-size (8 inch to 10 inch) flour tortillas, preferably whole grain
- Salsa, your favorite variety, as desired
- 2 to 3 scallion, green parts only, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1½ cups grated vegan cheddar or nacho style cheese
- Place the mushrooms in a medium skillet and layer the bell peppers on top of them. Add a small amount of water, cover, and steam until the mushrooms are done and the bell peppers are tender-crisp. Drain.
- Sprinkle about a quarter of the cheese over the surface of one tortilla. Arrange half of the mushroom and pepper mixture over the cheese.
- Top with some salsa -- enough to flavor and moisten the veggies, but not to drench them.
- Sprinkle with half of the scallion, and some optional cilantro. End with about another quarter of cheese, and cover with another tortilla.
- Repeat the above step with the remaining ingredients.
- Arrange both quesadillas on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 400° F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the tortillas become lightly golden and crisp on the outside.
- Cook the quesadillas one at a time on a nonstick griddle over medium-high heat. When one side is golden and crisp, carefully flip over and cook the other side until golden.
Do You Love This Recipe For Vegan Quesadillas?
Like this Vegan Quesadillas recipe? It’s from Jordan St. Clair-Jackson’s book, Easy Vegan Appetizers: Finger Foods, Warm Hors d’Ouevres, Dips, and Spreads for Everyday or Special Occasions (Best of VegKitchen.com Book 1), which you can purchase here.